Jan 3, 2013

Write the Room

Keeping a 5 year old boy entertained for 18 days during the Christmas break when it is too cold to go outside is interesting. I didn't want all of his time to be spent in front of the boob tube and there is only so much Candy Land, Lego's , and crafts you can do before we all go a little nuts.

Luckily we had Christmas as a break and there were new toys to play with but I also wanted to keep up with a little "school" type work as well. So I employed one of the "games" they play at school called write the room only I adapted it to write the house.

I took the sight words that we have from school and added my own Dolch word cards and some post it note sheets with words. I place 10 words around the house at a time. Then Hotrod went to go find the words and write them down. We not only got to work on reading but writing as well.

You will need word cards, a clip board, pencil, and paper. I created his worksheet at Amazing Handwriting Worksheets.com. You can customize the page on the left hand side of the screen. It is a great website for handwriting and of course I found it on Pinterest!

 First is the note cards. I found the post it notes at Jo Ann's in the close out section several years ago. I just knew they would come in handy someday. And then the sight words from school.


Next I placed the words around the house and Hotrod went around an found them and wrote the word before moving on to find the next one. 





An here he is in action!

Here is a example of what it would look like complete.


This was a great activity. This day we played for about and hour and a half. It was very engaging and I love that it includes lots of movement a must for my energizer bunny.








3 comments:

  1. I am inspired! i love this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and hey, i remember those jo ann cards. we have those too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Ms.A those were some great clearance sales shopping trips we had! Great memories!

      Delete

Talk to me...