Sep 27, 2011

One Type A Personality Mom with A Preschooler

I am a type A personality. I thrive on schedules, timelines, calendars and routine. I think this is one of the reason I loved being an educational diagnostician. The job was based on timelines, deadlines, meetings schedules and organization. It was right up my ally.

Now for as long as I can remember this is how I have been. I was always early for meetings and one of  the first to register for classes, I always shop with a grocery list, I go to bed at approx the same time every night and get up at the same time every morning and so on and so on and so on.

So it was with great trepidation that I brought my son home. After working full time for 14 years, I was now on my own with this little one for whom I got to set a schedule. Now from what you read and all that is drilled into you when you are expecting is flexibility with a new born. And though I was flexible I did set up a schedule. First it was feeding and then naps. And to this day we keep a pretty constant schedule.

So that brings me to my son showing that he is not so much a type A or maybe that he is way to much a type A, I haven't decided.

When we started preschool 2 days a week this year we had to change when we ate breakfast, 45 min earlier than what we were doing. The first week since it was new it was no problem but then the battle began. Suddenly he realized that eating took a way from his precious playing time so he started to resist. Oh my we went through 2 weeks of battles, tears (his and mine), negotiations and frustrations. For me eating breakfast at a table before you left the house was just what you did. But I had to weigh what was more important, eating or eating at the table and in the house. Of course eating was the most important so today I broke with my stringent ways and when it was time to go I put him in the backseat with his breakfast and off we went.

This morning was so nice, he got to play a little longer, I got a few more things done around the house and there were no tears. So as a parent I am constantly learning and growing and hoping that I am not doing irreparable harm to my son. I hope he sees it that way when he is older.

Now for my next growth area, not going back and fixing what my son has "helped" me do, like putting up the laundry. Baby steps!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me...