Dec 8, 2010

An AHA moment...

Yesterday was an aha moment for me. See when I stopped working outside the home when my son was born I had this June Clever idea of being a stay at home mom. A spotless house a well behaved child a cooked dinner on the table every night and smiles on every ones faces. Now 3 1/2 years into it I have the shocking reality that the laundry doesn't always get done my child has his own plans for behavior and meals come out of a can or the freezer on occasions and the floors are lucky if they get vacuumed once a week.

Because I had this unrealistic expectations and tried to keep meeting it for so long I realized that my relationship with my son was suffering. I came to this shocking moment yesterday.

See my nice hubby stayed home from work so that I could do some much needed Christmas shopping. I ended up being gone for most of the day. When I returned that evening I found a happy cooperative child.

What had happened? Normally by the end of our days we are both on the verge of tears and gnashing our teeth. After I sat down and listened to their day I was when I had my aha moment. They didn't worry about the laundry getting done the floors vacuumed or meals cooked, they played! Something I think I had lost sight of.

As my son has gotten older he is in need of more and more active input and physical activity, well duh, I should know this being and education major, but I had lost sight of it trying to do it all. So today we played, before we went off to school and we played and ran around after school. He went down for a nap without a fuss, albeit late, but still we have had very few head butting moments and both he an I are much more relaxed.

I know I will need constant reminders to play instead of work, it is just my nature, but in the end we will all be better for it.

1 comment:

  1. I think that applies to adults too. If i get some me time in at least once a week, i tend to be a better wife, mom and friend. Most never have that AHA moments until way down the line....glad you found it and are truly enjoying the results.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...