Oct 2, 2010

Saturdays with Grandpas

One of the fringe benefits of working at the family clothing store was that I was able to eat lunch with my Granddad every Saturday. Starting at about age 16 I would work on Saturdays at the store and promptly at 1 pm Granddad and I would head out for lunch. This was a great treat for me and during the summers I was able to go 5 days a week! This lunch date continued even as I went to college and got a job teaching and no longer worked at the store.

At the same time my dad would eat lunch on Saturdays with his Grandmother (Great Nanny to me). And through a series of events my Great Grandmother passed away and my Granddad retired and remarried so there we were, my dad and I without a Saturday lunch date.

So daddy and I started to eat lunch on Saturdays to keep up the tradition and now that JN has come along he comes too. It is a special treat that we live so close to our parents and JN can have the benefit of getting to know his grandparents so well. I hope that we can keep our Saturday lunch date for a long time!

Do you have any special family time set aside each week?

1 comment:

  1. i love that you havea tradition on sat, not to mention that you still call your dad, daddy. that is too special! we eat with j's parents every monday and my parents every thurs. we didn't do it until a year before the toot was born, and i am so glad we started the tradition. si has an awesome relationship with all the grands.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...