Sep 3, 2010

Rewards

So I am doing my best to potty train my 3 year old little boy. Even though we have had some success he is not consistent. When it gets down to it he just really would rather keep playing and be wet or dirty than stop and go to the bathroom.

I have tried the staying at home for 3 days, setting the timer and taking him constantly but he didn't like stopping and it become more of a power struggle than a success even though he did get the concept. So I have tried for the last 3 months to ask frequently and give lots and lots of praise. I have tried rewards in the past but those last for about a day then fizzle out and I am stuck looking for something else bribe him with. And truth be known I am not big into rewards for doing something you just should do. I guess it is because I wasn't raised that way and it is a somewhat foreign concept with me in parenting.

But I have finally acquiesced and last week when we were at the bank he told me he needed to go potty  and we made it. Yeah, so we headed to Gibson's and he picked out a bulldozer as a reward. While we were there he wanted a dump truck too. So I said that if he went #2 in the potty that he could have the truck. So for about 10 day now I have been encouraging him and reminding him of what he needed to do to earn the truck and today he got it!!!

First thing this morning he got his truck, and picked out 2 more rewards. So I have made a chart for him to mark off when he has completed his potty responsibility and when he marks off 5 he can have another reward. I hope the visual reminder is a help and that this time he finally gets it.

1 comment:

  1. 5 marks worked for us too. fortunately, we only had lollipops as the rewards (sorry dr. laska-sugar seemed to work for a few months)...i think i would be broke if I had to buy cinderellas for every 5th check. good luck, this too shall pass. oh, and breathe.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me...